XYLEXPO: "Design meets digital": On the way to the Smart Factory with the new machine generation
Since the end of March, HOMAG has a completely new image — with a new logo, a new look, and modern machine design. Visitors to XYLEXPO can experience what is behind the "new HOMAG". At the exhibition, HOMAG will make digitalization and Industry 4.0 more tangible with automation solutions, from the first autonomous workshop concept to the Smart Factory.
On the technology platform in Hall 3, HOMAG will demonstrate technical innovations and solutions. With around 20 machines that are tapio-ready and cells live in action. At the new HOMAG Digital Tower visitors will be able to see new digital products and customized software to meet any requirement.
"Design meets digital": HOMAG appeares at XYLEXPO with a new look
Visitors to XYLEXPO in Italy can see what was presented at HOLZ-HANDWERK for the first time. Adhering to the motto "Design meets digital", HOMAG has made all of its machines more intuitive and unique for users. Operating the new generation of machines will be a unique experience thanks to the forward-thinking, function-oriented design and the innovative power of the machine’s operating system. HOMAG has also made product names a clearer structure. From now on, the name of each machine clearly states its function. For example, visitors to XYLEXPO will find HOMAG edge banding machines under the name EDGETEQ and machines from the saw technology range now all carry the name SAWTEQ.
"This year, a visit to the HOMAG stand is a must. On the one hand, visitors will see our new generation of machines with the new design. On the other hand, we are showing how our "ONE HOMAG" strategy is allowing us to align with the requirements of our customers even more. Solutions for digitalization, which allow you to have an overview of production at all times, are also very important. We are using advanced machine technologies, including a batch size 1 plant. tapio — the eco system for the entire woodworking industry — is also included. Visitors have really got something to look forward to. We look forward to seeing them!"
Walter Crescenzi, Managing Director HOMAG Italia S.p.A.
HOMAG Group: Innovations at XYLEXPO
From the high-tech cutting cell for flexible batch size 1 furniture production, to packaging; at XYLEXPO, almost all components necessary for producing a piece of furniture are live in action. A special feature this year is a joint exhibition area with Makor to showcase the close, strategic collaboration in the development of surface processing solutions for the woodworking industry and trade.
The "autonomous cell".
Live in action at the XYLEXPO trade fair will be the first fully-autonomous workshop. It consists of two fully-automated cells. These cells are linked by a small autonomously working helper: An automated guided vehicle (TRANSBOT) which takes care of organizing part logistics between the cells. The "autonomous cell" is able to take full advantage of its flexibility in trade as well as in the industry, and opens up new options for production.
CELL 1: High-tech edging with integrated workpiece handling
The EDGETEQ S-500 edge banding machine offers maximum flexibility when combined with the LOOPTEQ O-600 return. The return conveyor and the edge banding machine are interconnected thanks to the woodFlex cell control system.
CELL 2: Robot management for the vertical CNC processing machine
With almost 100% uptime, a high degree of repeat accuracy and precise part handling: at XYLEXPO, a 6-axis robot will undertake automated parts handling for the DRILLTEQ V-500 vertical processing center.
CELL 3: Flexible interlinking thanks to an automated guided vehicleA small, autonomously working helper (automated guided vehicle (TRANSBOT)) connects the two fully-automated cells and supplies the drilling cell with finished stacks from the edging cell.
SOFTWARE: The ControllerMES production control system from HOMAG is the key to interconnected communication within the cell. It communicates universally with the individual control systems of the automated edge cell and the CNC robot cell, as well as the control system of the TRANSBOT.
On the way to the smart factory: Batch size 1 production for flexible furniture production
HOMAG is presenting an innovative concept for processing batch size 1 and small series in furniture production. The EDGETEQ S-810 edge banding machine with automated return is a winner with an optimally aligned all-round solution for edge processing. The EDGETEQ S-810 is highly flexible thanks to edge gluing with automatic change between laser and PU. During operation, the cell can be used as a separate island or can be integrated into an automatic material flow. The cell includes a feeder that supplies material to the machine from stacks. To increase performance, workpieces can also be handled in pairs. The machine operator can feed in and remove small parts manually.
- Processes workpiece formats up to 3000 mm x 1200 mm
- Dimensioning in batch size 1 via the WZ14 workpiece supply System
- Edge gluing with automatic change between laser and PU
- Edge magazine for 24 rollers
- Post-processing of edges with servo technology for three profiles
- Two grooving units with horizontal and vertical servo axes and automatic adjustment of the groove width on one of the units
intelliGuide operator assistance system: Now also on edge banding machines
What started with the intelliGuide intelligent operator assistance system for panel dividing technology has been adapted by HOMAG for edge banding machines.
On panel dividing saws, the operator assistance system reacts intelligently to the actions of the saw operator. For example, intelliGuide flexibly changes the cutting sequence if the user feeds a different part into the saw than the one intended.
Where the operator assistance system is used on edge banding machines, two LED strips in the area of the workpiece infeed clearly show what the operator should do. This is achieved by the workpiece dimensions being displayed on the LED strips. The strips light up in different colors, thereby providing specific handling instructions.
- White LEDs shows the workpiece dimensions for length and width. This ensures that the operator knows exactly which direction the workpiece should be inserted in. The position of the barcodes is indicated with green LEDs.
- If the workpiece passes through the machine several times for edging on multiple sides, the orange information color indicates which edge has already been processed.
- The blue color appears as soon as there is an error message.
All of this means that with intelliGuide, incorrect processing of workpieces is almost completely impossible.
The benefits at a glance:
- Increased efficiency due to a reduction in the number of missing parts
- Increase in operating comfort for the Operator
- Intuitive operation of the machine
- High level of process security
Software as a service — intelliDivide
Since LIGNA 2017, tapio has created an open ecosystem for the entire woodworking industry. tapio plays a neutral role in this process and offers a technological, digital base for partners. HOMAG is currently working hard with experts at tapio on new features and apps which should allow the user to get even more out of its production.
The first result was demonstrated live at XYLEXPO: intelliDivide. The "Software as a Service" optimization based on tapio provides users of HOMAG panel dividing saws with significantly higher computing capacity and can therefore provide several variants of optimization results in a short space of time. This means that with intelliDivide, the operator is able to choose from a variety of options, including a result based purely on reducing waste, a result based on the shortest machine run time or on the simplest handling, adapted to the relevant requirements.
New high-tech solutions for the woodworking industry
HOMAG is staying one step ahead of the market to provide optimal support to companies in the woodworking trade as they move into the digital future. At XYLEXPO, HOMAG was therefore demonstrating the appropriate high-tech machines as well as entire solutions tailored to individual customers — for trade businesses, batch size 1 production or industrial series production.
Storage and panel dividing technology
SAWTEQ B-320 flexTec with fully automatic part stacking
- The award-winning SAWTEQ B-320 flexTec cutting cell revolutionizes batch size 1 production using a robot. It enables the creation of highly flexible cutting patterns and the efficient processing of these patterns. It is systematically designed for batch size 1 production and works fully automatically with just one saw — the robot takes over all handling operations up to the ejection of the part from the cell. At XYLEXPO, the SAWTEQ B-320 flexTec is fitted with the new, fully automatic part stacking on lifting tables. The main attraction is that this feature enables periodically automated operation, even in the version that is not interlinked.
- The new CADmatic 5 saw control: From March 2018, almost all HOMAG panel dividing saws are fitted with the super-modern CADmatic 5 saw control. The special feature is the assistance display, which thinks in terms of the machine operator. The next step is always shown until it has been completed — making the machine even more user-friendly.
- Suction traverse in X geometry: even the smallest of the HOMAG storage systems now provide maximum flexibility when transporting various materials. The reason for this is the combination of the STORETEQ S-200 storage system with the ST 71 suction cross rail in X geometry.
- Edge processing with flexibility³: this year, the edge experts at HOMAG are placing emphasis on three-in-one options. The new 3-profile technology provides fast, automatic and repeat-accuracy switching between three profiles and 20° chamfer. Anyone wishing to switch between edge-gluing processes (PU, EVA, or AirTec invisible-joint technology) in short intervals of time can now operate all three edge-gluing processes on one machine.
- The all-round worry-free package for edge processing: On the EDGETEQ S-380, a belt-type top roll pressure is used for workpiece transport. This is ideal for high-gloss surfaces. The user chooses between glue application with a gluing roller, with the airTec procedure, or with PUR processing. Post-processing is highly automated: the trimmer, contour trimmer, and scraper can be adjusted by touch. Multilevel tools enable a choice between two radii.
- Sanding has now become even more economical: You can now get more technology on a smaller budget with the entry-level SANDTEQ W-100 sanding machines. Here the user can now choose from five different equipment packages which include current additional selectable features.
- Wet coating for surfaces: At XYLEXPO, HOMAG was presenting solutions for painting with automated parts handling and for handling small batch sizes. In close cooperation with the specialist Makor, HOMAG was presenting a spraying machine from the SPRAYTEQ S-100 series which can be used either as autonomous spraying machines or as part of an extensive coating system. These machines are among the most compact painting machines in their class;and are used in the production of furniture and solid wood furniture, kitchen and office furniture, interior fitting elements, stairs, and doors. At XYLEXPO, HOMAG will demonstrate the SPRAYTEQ S-100 with its innovative loading and unloading concept.
Life Cycle Services — count on us:
HOMAG is constantly continuing to develop global services for customers. Now the HOMAG Service Team has been offering a number of innovations:
- HOMAG Warranty Plus — the all-round worry-free package now available worldwide
- ServiceBoard with new Features
- Updates are now available for intelliGuide Basic, Advanced and Professional
ControllerMES production control system — the path to the digital workshop
An optimal production process does not depend on the size of the company. ControllerMES, the production control system from HOMAG, enables an integrated information flow within production and at the same time offers the option of digitalized production planning and organization.Back to List
You may also like
Panel dividing saw SAWTEQ B-320 flexTec
Its advantages in batch size 1 production: individual cutting, fully automated production processes, unlimited recuts.
ControllerMES Manufacturing Execution System
Manufacturing Execution System - for the wood and furniture industry